What To Read Next?
Illinois Book Awards
Children are eligible to vote if they read or hear (read-aloud & audio books are OK) a minimum of 5 books from the list. We will be sharing titles during library lessons throughout the year, so all K-3 students will vote in February.
Bluestem Book Award (3-5)
Children are eligible to vote if they read or hear (read-alouds or audio books) a minimum of 4 books from the list. Voting for our favorite title will take place in February.
Caudill Book Award (4-8)
Children are eligible to vote if they read or hear (read-alouds or audio books) a minimum of 3books from the list. Voting for our favorite title will take place in February.
National Book Awards
The Newbery Medal is awarded annually by the American Library Association to the author of the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
The Caldecott Medal is awarded annually by the American Library Association to the author of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
The Coretta Scott King Book Awards are awarded annually to outstanding African American authors and illustrators of books for children and young adults that demonstrate an appreciation of African American culture and universal human values.
The Pura Belpré Awards are awarded annually by the American Library Association honoring a Latino Pura Belpré, the first Latina librarian at the New York Public Library. The writer/illustrator whose children’s books best portray, affirm and celebrate the Latino cultural experience.
The Robert F. Sibert Informational Book Medal is awarded annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished informational book published in the United States.
The Geisel Award is given annually to the author(s) and illustrator(s) of the most distinguished American book for beginning readers.
The Schneider Family Book Awards honor an author or illustrator for a book that embodies an artistic expression of the disability experience for child and adolescent audiences.
... and more
Elmhurst Public Library Booklists
Free eBooks and Read Alouds
Other Book Lists
- 100 Great Children's Books, New York Public Library
- Hot Off the Press, Children's Book Council
- Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People, National Council for the Social Studies
- Noteworthy Books for Children and Teens, Capitol Choices
- Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12, National Science Teachers Association
- Parents' Choice Award Winners, Parents' Choice Foundation
- Notable Children's Books, American Library Association
- Best Books of 2016, School Library Journal
- Best Children's Books of 2016, Amazon.com
- Best Children's Books of 2016, Brain Pickings
- Best Children's Books of the Year, 2016 Edition, Bank Street College of Education
- Best Children's Picture Books of 2016, Publishers Weekly
- Notable Children's Books of 2016, The New York Times